Tuesday, October 16, 2007


Dating Dos and Do NOTS!
by Terry Hernon MacDonald, author, Marry Smart.


At my daughter's vision therapy appointment last week, I got to talking to a woman who has a good friend who's hoping to meet a good man on the Internet.

The woman is glad her friend is "getting out there," but she's concerned that this person is setting herself up for failure for one reason:

She's filled her profile with lies, exaggerations, and half-truths.

Fibbing on a profile (or on a date or in a relationship)is a disaster waiting to happen. Don't sabotage your happiness by fudging your age, your salary, or anything else.

Respect yourself and be yourself.

In my single days, I knew a woman who drew tons of responses to a personal ad in which she used the headline, HONEST, SINCERE WOMAN. Most people want to be dealt with honestly, whether it's in business or relationships.

But some people insist on making themselves "look better" on the page, to their own detriment.

Ask Ronnie Ann Ryan. She's the author of MANIFESTING MR. RIGHT, and apublicity writer, in addition to being a dating coach. Women and men ask her for help in writing their Internet profiles. One client stunned her by insisting she include all sorts of false information (she refused).


"Can't you see you're setting yourself up for failure?" She asked the guy. "No woman is going to want you once she finds out the truth."

Ronnie knows what she's talking about from personal experience. At age 40, with no prospects in sight, she set out to meet, fall in love with, and marry a good man who made her happy. (She succeeded and tells how she did it in MANIFESTING MR. RIGHT.)

Along the way, she met a guy who lied to her. She says:

"Before I my husband, I dated a nice guy named Jeff. I was 40 at the time and he said he was 39. We had great conversations, laughs and chemistry. Things were looking up until one night Jeff took out his driver's license to show me how bad the photo was. That's not what I noticed. I saw that he was younger than he said
- only 36. I asked Jeff why he lied about his age, and he said he was afraid I wouldn't date him because he was too young. After that, I couldn't help wondering what else he lied about. The relationship unraveled.

Turns out my husband is four years younger than me. I didn't care when Paul told me he was 37 to my 41 and better still, he didn't care either. Stop worrying about your age and stick with the truth. Honesty is a much better policy - and it's easier to remember, too."

Please resist the temptation to shave years off your age, inflate your salary, and so on. You're fine just the way you are.

Also, take a cue from Ronnie and turn away any man who lies to you. Relationships are built on trust, not lies.

To sign up for Ronnie's f*ree dating newsletter, check out:

www.nevertoolate.biz

To your happily ever after,

Terry
www.happygirlmusing.com Dating Advice (Almost) Daily
Author, How to Attract and Marry the Man of Your Dreams

Psssst. Terry is one on my love relationship mentors. She helped me get ready for love and get married. I highly recommend that you read her book - click on the link above. And, listen into her interview on the Get Ready for Love! Show. Topic is "Secrets of Attraction."

No comments: