Friday, May 11, 2007

Say what you mean, but don't say it mean.

I used to be such a people pleaser. The evil twin of people pleasing also begins with a "P." It's called passive aggression! This is where I'd be so fed up and worn out that I would say what I meant and it would be mean, mean, mean. Can you relate?

To say what I mean without saying it mean requires more participation from me. I actually have to stop myself from over-extending and over-doing. I have to tell my husband when I need help - want to be treated to dinner - need a kiss - want a bouquet of flowers. I have to treat him like an equal vs. like a superman who can read my mind and see right through me ... sing it!

I am getting used to it - being real - I like it better. So does he.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah! Don't say it mean ...

"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place, but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
– Lady Dorothy Nevill